Nicholas continued to decline after arriving at the hospital last night. At about 1:00am, Nicholas tried to stop breathing. The nurse issued a "code blue" but CPR was not necessary. After several minutes, they got Nicholas stabalized and made the decision to intubate him and transfer him to the PICU. Intubation would force him to breath and give his lungs a chance to rest. The pneumonia apparently was worse than they originally estimated.
During that time I asked the nurse if I should call Lisa, who was at home in bed. The nurse said "call her." Her response had a sense of urgency which scared me to death. So, I got a second opinion and asked the resident doctor her opinion. "With his history, you better call her," she replied.
Lisa arrived and we both had to wait in the same room that we waited when Nicholas suffered respiratory arrest almost 2 years ago. It was very surreal. We waited more than an hour more while they put a "central line" into Nicholas.
At the moment, Nicholas is sedated and the vent tube is breathing for him. I am still waiting on the x-ray results to see if his lungs have changed. No word on how long he will be intubated or even how long we will be here.
After our February crisis with both Nicholas and me in the hospital, Lisa and I decided our children (and us too) deserved a much needed vacation. We planned and paid for a 4 day trip to Busch Gardens/Williamsburg next week. That is obviously in question now. Please pray for Nicholas' recovery and that we might still be able to vacation and get some much needed mental respite.
10 comments:
We are lifting you all up. I'm so sorry you are back at Brenners. We pray Nicholas' lungs are resting and healing in an amazing way. Timothy and Julia were gracing the halls of church this morning. We missed you all. Sending you big hugs!!!! You guys better be out of there before we go back in at the end of the week- deal?!
Continuing to lift you all up the Jehovah Rapha - God our Healer. I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this again. Much love and prayers. Kathy
I am praying for all of you!! You guys have been through so much, but your good attitudes and joyful spirits are so encouraging and show others what Christ is like and what He can do! Please give Nicholas lots of kisses for me! I love you, Richardson's!
Lindsay Adamson :D
Stephen & Lisa,
I am so sorry that Nicholas is in the hospital. I am praying for God to provide healing for Nicholas and to give all of you what you need. He knows your needs and He will provide.
Love,
Tammy
We are praying for you all. We miss you and hope Nicholas will heal quickly. I am so sorry that you had to go back to Brenners again.
Love you,
Nancy Eades and family
We are praying for Nicholas. What a horrible night...we are so praying that the vent will allow him to rest and recover more quickly and easily. YOu are all in our thoughts and prayers.
Jennifer, Darren, Matthew and Charlie Pelkey
We are praying for you all & especially little Nicholas.
Oh my goodness! We did not know Nicholas was sick...We will be praying for rest and healing for your sweet Nicholas and for rest and peace for you all. Please call if we can help in ANY way. Cast ALL your cares on Him...we will pray, pray, pray for each of you. We love you guys. We will check on you in the morning. Tina
We are praying for your family and especially Nicholas. Keep your eyes on God and he will give you the strength and peace you need to get through another bump in the road. Nicholas has a special place in my heart, even though I have not had the pleasure of meeting him. GET WELL SOON LITTLE NICHOLAS! May God continue to bless you and your family.
We are thinking of you and lifting you all in our prayers. You are never far from our thoughts and always in our hearts. We pray that the God of Peace will grant you comfort and provide healing for Nicholas. We love you all!
Wayne, Monica, Payton & Jackson
Post a Comment